Monday, April 30, 2007

OOPS, I've been busy

Firstly, apologies for not keeping this Blog up to date. I have negligent to my regular readers and I am sorry. Since Francis visited Prague I have been on quite a few more trips. I have since visited Leipzig, Vienna and Zlin. All of which I will tell you a little about now…

The weeks after Francis’ visit were filled with Erasmus parties. The students who were only staying for the first semester started to leave, many leaving parties as a result, and the new Erasmus students arrived, many welcoming parties ensued. I also managed to completely miss Pancake Day! I was devastated! But all was not lost, I decided any Tuesday could be Shrove Tuesday and I proceeded in planning a late celebration. I have to say it was the best Pancake Day I have ever experienced. Mainly, I think, because the majority of the people at the party were French, and then French knooow how to flip a decent crepe. I was happily satisfied with my pancake consumption for the year.

Also this Semester I have started having private Czech classes. Last semester we were having classes in conjunction with our university. But surprise surprise, funding ran out, and we were left to either give up learning Czech, or seek other means to gain the information. We decided, quite simply, to employ our old Czech teacher privately. We are paying her, what in my opinion is a very cheap rate. But she suggested the price and she seems to have given herself the task, to not only teach us Czech, but also give us a crash course in Czech culture. It seems to me it is not such a measly sum by Czech standards. I will miss learning Czech; I will miss learning a language. I have decided on my return to Britain, I will definitely start learning a language properly. First on my list is Spanish, but I will try and improve my Polish as a side project. There is something about learning a language that really keeps your brain alive.

The week of my delayed pancake day, I visited my friend Johannes in Leipzig. I ended up going later than I originally planned. I was advised to buy my tickets on the Internet to get the cheapest price, this involved waiting for them to be delivered. Finally I received my tickets and I departed for my 6-hour train journey. The journey passed without incident. I arrived to Leipzig relieved to at long last stretch my legs and of course to see Johannes waiting for me.

I stayed with Johannes’ parents. Lovely people, but with limited English. This was very frustrating for me. I find it very hard not to communicate with people, especially people I am staying with. However, when Johannes was around, I was able to hear a translation, I suspect, a little edited from time to time. I was made to feel very welcome, and I felt a little spoilt. Johannes’ mother is quite the accomplished cook, and she whipped up a few delicious meals. I was assured it was all traditional German grub, just what I had hoped.

Leipzig is a vibrant student city. In proportions it felt quite similar to Leeds. There are lots of trendy bars, nice shopping streets, and most important of all, an impressive modern art gallery. Johannes and I wondered the Leipzig streets, did a little cycling and drank a few German Beers. We had a very lazy time. Unfortunately we might have been a little more active if the weather had not been so miserable. I don’t think it really ever stopped raining. However I had a lovely time, and I really enjoyed my true German experience. I have to say that the German people, what I have experienced of them, are delightful, very friendly and accommodating. I look forward to my next German trip. Next on the list is Jena, to visit my friend Anne. I can’t wait!

No comments: