Monday, February 05, 2007

SLOVAKIAAAAAAA

Just before I went to Olomouc we had our good friends, Pauline and Jeremy from France, around for a crepe evening. We were talking about their travelling plans, as they were about to go to Krakow. Next thing I knew we were discussing what bus we were going to get back with them from Poprad Tatry, Slovakia.

Kirstie and I decided we were going to get the train to Poprad on the Wednesday morning, as we were going to get the bus back, and we are not fans of doing the same journey twice. I got a text message whilst I was on the train from Pauline, telling me I needed to get to Stary Smokovec. It was all very exciting. On Stefan’s advice we jumped on the first very snazzy electric train straight into the Vysoky Tatry (High Tatras).

Having never experienced proper snow, I was amazed at the white landscape that surrounded us. It was endless. When we got off the train, the snow had been pushed off the paths, and was piled up above my waist. First thing we did was purchase two sleds (more a circular piece of plastic with a handle), one red (red lions) and one blue (blue frogs). The gauntlet was thrown.

Pauline and Jeremy had already arranged our accommodation. Our first night was to be spent at Bilikova chata, basically a mountain chalet. It was a log cabin and absolutely idyllic. The first evening was stunning, the sun set with all the colours of the rainbow. We sledded until we were completely wet through and could sled no more. It was the perfect beginning to a great few days.
Red sky at night...


However, over night, whilst we were sleeping, the weather changed dramatically. On waking, the beautiful view from my window that stretched far into the distance was now a sheet of white. Snow had fallen all night, and was still falling. It didn’t actually stop all day. We were determined to not let it stop what we wanted to do. So, as planned, we went to see a hidden waterfall near our chalet. A walk that really should of only taken a few minutes became quite the expedition. That day, any bit of walking was a real effort. But it was exciting too. In the evening the wind picked up, and I have never felt such a natural force. We were told that since a terrible storm two years previous, which devastated much of the wooded landscape, the weather in the region had become more and more dramatic. I think the loss of the tree’s protection has left the region much more exposed to the elements.

Kirstie and Pauline snowed under
Am I pleased I got skiing clothes for christmas!!!

Thankfully the wind blew the bad weather away over night, and again we had a new view in the morning. The sun was shining and the sky was a deep blue. The snow looked the most brilliant white. I literally jumped out of my bed, and got outside as quickly as I could.


The good weather meant that we could go up Lomnicky stit, the highest peak in the region at 2634m. Highly recommended in all the tourist guides. We had to get three cable cars up the mountain. The last one was standing room only, the steepest ascension, and just a tad terrifying. But it was all worth the effort; the views at the top were spectacular! I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Not quite at the top.

Looking at the Polish side of the Tatry
The whole gang, me, Pauline, Kirstie and Jeremy, very very cold (-15)!!!!

I was very sad to leave Slovakia, the owners of our last accommodation at Penzion Vesna were so lovely and generous, and the breakfast was to die for. The snow was a lot of fun, and having seen so many skiers I was quite keen to give it a go. Also, just to add, that the blue frogs were the more superior sledders (or luge as they persisted on calling it). Kirstie and I, with our much-practiced English humility, were defeated with honor.

No comments: